|For the Love of Leftovers|

I love leftovers.

Let me be more clear; I love scrap material leftovers, not food leftovers. Yuck. Food leftovers are never as good as they were the first time whereas scrap leftovers get better with age; and I love them “ripe”.

Here’s one pile of my leftovers on hand.


Yesterday, I decided to turn them into a chalkboard for one of my barren dining room walls.

When we moved, our highend items were wood created by a specialty moving company. They came out and built custom crates in our garage to safely transport each item (tv’s, taxidermy, antique mirrors, etc.) I broke the crates down as we unpacked and saved the good pieces of wood for later use. (My coffee bar in our new house is also constructed using this scrap wood. That is the project I was working on when our house caught fire. Anyway – post on that project coming soon…)

I used a 1×8 board for the top, and 1×4 boards for the other three sides.

I cut an arch in the top board to resemble the archways throughout our home.

I didn’t have to cut down any of the boards. I used them all as is. That’s a perk of having so much on hand. There has to be the perfect piece somewhere (although, cutting a piece down probably would have been faster than “hunting”).

I sanded each board with my palm sander to get the best penetration for the stain at application.

I constructed the pieces with wood glue and stapled the seams together on the backside where the boards met. Plywood was then glued and stapled to the back side of the completed frame.



I then covered the middle chalkboard part with a plastic trash bag and painters tape so I could stain the frame without getting stain on the chalkboard area – I didn’t want the stain to hinder the chalk paint adhering to the plywood. I added a coat of my favorite stain (Minwax Honey) and after that dried a bit, I added some streaked black paint that I rubbed in to make it look as though the frame had been oiled or burned. I removed the bag and tape and added a couple coats of Valspar Chalkboard paint.


I let the project dry for 3 hours before adding script.

Here is the finished, hung project.


Construction/paint time: 1 hour

Dry time: 3 hours

Hang time: Forever (well, until the next relocation, anyway. It’ll have many homes in its lifetime.)

(I have the board hanging on the wall with Velcro Command Strips by 3M at all 4 corners. I love these things.)



She’s snug as a bug on that wall.

Advertisements

__FLOORED__

The last week has been…

LOUD…


…but productive.

This sander ran in our home for three days straight in order to sand the wood down three layers before staining. But alas, the noise was worth it in the end.

We only replaced one board that suffered from the fire damage (only because they ripped it off the floor to find replacement boards). Instead of replacing the burned boards, I decided to keep them after seeing them sanded; they added character and they are part of the story of our home.

New stain color: Dark Walnut (Minwax)

Poly: Bona Floor Finisher (3 coats applied; buffed after coats 1 and 2)

Flooring: Heart pine (barn wood)

Here is the before:


Here are the durings:


Here are the afters:


Before/After


Burn marks:


All done!

All of our belongings are being return tomorrow and Friday (or Fri-yay)! 😄

NOTE:

Work performed by:

D&B Hardwoods

Owner: Dean Buie

3196 Ga Highway 99, Brunswick GA

(912) 265-9564

/The TURQUOISE continues…/

I’m addicted to the turquoise; good thing I have plenty of paint left…

Remember the sofa table I said to stay tuned for? Well, here it is, in all it’s ugly glory:


I bought this beast about 15 years ago from a second hand furniture store. She’s nothing short of hideous. Glass shelving inserts and all. It’s screaming for a makeover. I didn’t presand, just painted. There was zero finish left on this thing.

Voila!


Paint applied and sanded for distressed look.

Now, to add a more rustic touch…

I built a top from 1×6 lumber. The top is 20 inches wide so I cut the pieces 21 inches to allow overhang. 

I spaced the boards with small gaps in between so they’d cover the entire top with a small overhang at each end also.

I attached the boards together with wooden slats, glued then stapled. I stacked magazines on the slats to apply pressure as the wood glue dried. (This top just sits on the top of the table. The integrity of the table is not comprised.)

I distressed the boards with a hammer and screw, scraped off chunks with a chisel and beat dents in it with a hammer before applying stain (Honey 272 by Minwax).



Once the stain dried, I just set the finished piece on top of the table and added decor! (The original glass top is intact and hidden underneath.)

An added bonus is that the slats allow me to tuck my Scentsy cord in between so it quits falling behind the sofa!

Finished product:

*** enter nosey puppy photobomb***

Before and After:

What can I paint next…