My father in law gave us a bunch of antler mounts a few years ago. My husband didn’t really want as many as we took but I told him I wanted them for something crafty but I wasn’t quite sure what. Yet.
Today, I decided to give a set a facelift because I was eager to finally get one on the wall, but as it was, it wouldn’t do. They have a very “80’s” look to the way they were mounted. The base mount boards are various weird shapes; one is an acorn, another is a heart, and so on. Not very masculine nor rustic in my book. I’ll have to figure out a way to revamp those, but that’s another post. The mount base for the rack I am redoing for this post, is tolerable in shape.
Burlap roll – upholstery tacks – fabric flowers – rhinestone embellishment buttons – berry sprays – One coat lacquer spray – 2 plastic bags – tape
(All decor materials are from Hobby Lobby, except the upholstery tacks; they are from Home Depot.)
Tools I used:
Hot glue gun – Tack hammer – Wire snips – Staple Gun – Scissors
Total Cost: About $20
Total project time: 25 minutes
Next, I cut a piece of burlap about 2 inches longer than the mount felt, and cut slits in the burlap to accommodate each of the antlers.
I started at the bottom, folding the raw burlap edge under and securing it by hammering in an upholstery tack (I put a magazine under the rack to protect my dining table and to absorb some of the hammering noise). After tapping in a few tacks across the bottom, I moved to the top and secured a few there to pull the material taunt.
I then moved on to the sides to get the antlers wrapped neatly and securely, also turning the raw edge under around each antler then pulled taunt to secure.
NOTE: I had to turn the hammer sideways to tap in a few of the tacks in tight spaces.
After completing both sides I returned to finish the top and bottom.
I stapled the berry sprays onto the bottom to hold them in place (staples are easy to remove if I didn’t like them). I tapped the staples in the rest of the way with a hammer to keep the sprays from wiggling. Then I used wire cutters to clip off the excess stems.
Next, I layed out a flower design and when I was happy with placement, I hot glued them into place (again, very easy to remove if I ever need/want to). I glued a rhinestone button to the center of the large flower and called it good!
After lacquer dried, the project is complete!
Time to hang!